From: Fleming, Greg (ED)
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 8:14 AM
To: 'midrange-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RunRmtCmd on Windows Server 2003

We use RunRmtCmd to crank up a couple PC processes on our Windoze server
automagically.

We just moved our apps to a brand new quad processor hyperthreaded
windows 2003 server, and its acting kind of funny.

One of the apps we run is an MSAccess 97 (cough cough) database, which
we run like this:

RunRmtCmd Cmd('Start E:\MyDirectory\MyDatabase.mdb') RmtLocName(1.2.3.4
*IP) RMTUSER(*None) RMTPWD()

The database has an autoexecute macro and imports a bunch of data from
the Iseries  then propogates it to the Access tables. This still works,
except that where we used to actually see the main form displayed on the
PC screen, now we don't, but we can see msaccess.exe in the task
manager, and we can see our status text file being updated through
windows explorer.

The other app we run is a VB executable which populates an SQL database
from some text files we had previously FTP'd to the PC.  We run it like
this:

RunRmtCmd Cmd('Start E:\MyDirectory\MyProgram.exe') RmtLocName(1.2.3.4
*IP) RMTUSER(*None) RMTPWD()

It isn't working at all.

When I experiment with MSPaint.exe, I get the same result, except that
if I remove 'Start' from the remote command, I can see the executable in
task manager, which makes me think this might make our app function, but
this has the undesired effect of leaving the Iseries job hanging until
the PC job is ended, which we don't want. We need to start it and move
on.

We've been running these successfully on a windows 2000 server, and
before that on a windows NT server for years.

We're running Iseries Access 5.7 on the PC, and of course the Iseries
Access for Windows Remote Command service is up and running, and
apparently works, given the fact that the Access.mdb seems to function,
albeit somewhat invisibly.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in Advance.

Greg Fleming