In the last month, I have configured an i5 520 with six IXS (plus one hot spare) and two xSeries servers in the same tower with IXA. No i5/OS applications will be run. Their expertise on iSeries operations and management, plus the ability to have HA with hot spare, etc. etc. means it is very cost effective. Even with a tower and expansion towers for the IXS, and even with the cost of the iSeries disk, this solution competes very well with an equivalent set of Intel servers with VMWare and all the other software to manage the systems. There is less Windows management - things like defrag are gone - and there is only one point of backup - the iSeries. And one more advantage. If we wish to replace some of the servers that are simple file servers, we can use Linux on Power and less IXS.

I do not know about the OpenPower server compared to this, since we had a great iSeries skill set to utilize and the costs were comparable to the Intel solution...