Oh my, ok, well, just remember, I'm the .NET bigot...

>What I would like to have is a debate on what is better, Java or .NET.

Doesn't matter, there the same, sorry. (Joe, you can get up off the
floor). At this point, the Java vs. .NET argument is a religious
argument, which is "better" Christianity or Judaism?

Java and .NET are both extremely capable development environments that
can and do deliver (today) enterprise quality production systems. Both
have gotten better over the past several years, and will get better for
many years to come. Both have their problems and have had their
dead-ends, but that's called progress. Sure, do I like .NET better, yup.
Do I think VS.Net makes WSDC look pathetic, yup. But I'm sure there are
Java-folk that can tell you how Java is better than .NET and WDSC's
plug-in model makes it the best IDE ever invented. Bottom line is, if
you have good Java people you can develop good Java apps, and if you
have good .NET people you can develop good .NET apps.

I have said for several years that in 5 years .NET will have 45% of the
world, and Java will have 45% of the world, and everything else will
have the remaining 10%. So, if you pick .NET or Java it doesn't matter,
but if you pick ColdFusion, PHP, Net.Data, etc, well, good luck
maintaining it.

>Are web services as easy to use in Java as they are in .NET?

Yup, better be. If they're not someone will create a plugin to fix that
real fast.

>In .NET the programmer only has to change the names of the
>classes used in the program.

Actually, if you use the common base classes then you don't even have to
change the names of the classes, just the connection string and the
class-factory for the connection object (and that should be
"soft-coded") so I believe it's identical to Java.

>Why is PHP being chosen so frequently over Java when coding Linux
>based web sites?  That make me question Java a bit.

Because it's the flavor of the month. This is perhaps the one major
difference between the java world and the .NET world. In .NET we have
one centralized standards-setting, direction-setting behemoth, it's
called Microsoft. In the Java world there isn't one. Sun hasn't stepped
up and said "this is how it shall be", and I don't think that's the Java
model so they shouldn't. However, that results in a lot of thrashing,
and PHP is the latest example of that.

You can see that in the iSeries world too. As great as the machine may
be you have to admit, it's an extremely small install-base relative to
Windows, good-bad-indifferent, you can't argue the numbers. So, why is
there a SINGLE "official" way to go to the web in the windows world
(ASP.NET) while there are so many in the iSeries world (JSP, WebFacing,
iSeries Access for Web, HATS, CGI, CGIDEV2, screen-scrapers, etc.)

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11