 >> So it is a *good* thing to tell companies the software
 >> they wrote (perhaps) only a few years ago may not run
 >> in the future and they must re-develop it using a
 >> better software architecture?  Even if it is currently
 >> doing what it is supposed to and there is no ROI for a
 >> re-write?

MS have built a very good business doing just this.  And it hasn't even been
"better" - just different with multiple promises of better.

 >> Wow -- I hope you have pointy haired bosses
 >> (and investors) who will buy that reasoning.

What makes you think the investors will ever hear about it?  There are many
cases where after wasting millions switching to Windows and/or Unix systems
companies have come back to the 400 - but there are never any magazine
articles that say "we screwed up" - just the original "we're moving off this
old-fashioned ...." articles.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com