Some of this could be guilt by association.  I will have to admit to
immediately associating the MMT with the MAP.  Clearly there are common
vendors across both....

"David Bishop, Microsoft Solutions Architect, discusses Microsoft's
integration strategy, tool choices and the Midrange Alliance Program"

Obviously at least 1/3 of the MAP's intent is to move applications off of
the iSeries.  At the risk of being labeled anti-MS I would suggest it is
100% the intent of MS as well as some other vendors.  Some of these vendors
I would characterize as less then honest or admirable.  But that should not
come as a surprise.

I clearly look at MMT as a two edged sword.  We need alternatives and the
more we have the better off we are as well as the platform.  I would not
recommend throwing the baby out with the bath water.  However, there are
sharks in that water...............

I have spoken to two vendors that we have done business with in the past
regarding their involvement with MAP.  While I understand their intentions
I also think that they are associating themselves with some less than
reputable vendors.  My opinion only but I won't do business with
them.........

             Trevor Perry
             <tperry@cleartech
             nologies.net>                                              To
                                       Midrange Systems Technical
             06/14/2005 04:49          Discussion
             PM                        <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             Midrange Systems          Re: midrange modernization tour
                 Technical             question
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

> Trevor,
Nathan,

> The problem with characterizing Joe Pluta being
> opposed to modernization [Luddite], is that he has
> been on the leading edge of technology with his PCS400
> product, which is used specifically to extend and
> modernize legacy applications.

I have never characterized Joe as being opposed to modernization. Joe
implied that, and apparently it worked on you.
I feel he is anti-Microsoft.

> You need to decide whether you're going to spend your
> time helping Microsoft extend its monopoly from the
> desktop to the server, or to support OS/400 based
> alternatives.
I do??? What is this "need to" of which you speak?? That seems to be a
rather narrow and biased perspective...
This choice of which you speak is not a one or the other. In some cases, it
will include Microsoft solutions, in other cases it will not. This is what
my posts have been about! I believe that we can support the .Net push to
move in the right direction - which is to integrate with an infrastructure
that includes iSeries as key to that infrastructure. That does not extend a
monopoly - Microsoft do not have a monopoly in our world. But they are
here,
and if we allow them to work with our platform, then OUR platform will grow
into more places.

> Promoting products and technologies that are based on
> Windows may have market appeal and promise, but
> promoting them as a way to "help" the iSeries as a
> platform, is going too far.  The net effect of what
> you're promoting is to move more applications off the
> iSeries and onto Wintel desktops and servers.
The "net effect" of what ~I~ promote is the exact opposite. I do not
promote
moving applications OFF an iSeries. I have repeated this - where is the
disconnect? Did you attend the MMT and see me promoting migration away from
an iSeries. Until you do - which is not in my future as of today - then you
cannot claim I am. Joe tried, and he has not bothered to educate himself
about what the MMT was about, either. I encourage you to go.

> Promoting .Net and products based on .Net as "good"
> for the iSeries, is just about as wrong as
> characterizing Joe Pluta as a Luddite.
It is nice for you to have that opinion. But it is just an opinion and
neither right or wrong. Besides, I never called Joe a Luddite - he made
that
nice little transition himself.
And, what I am saying is, .Net is here, and here to stay. Whether you think
that is "good" or not for the iSeries, I maintain that if we do not embrace
it and find its correct place, we ~will~ lose our iSeries. If we continue
oppose for no reason other than "Microsoft is taking over", then we are
misguided and narrow minded. We have a chance to find the right place for
.Net in our world (since it is here) and use it to our advantage. Simple,
really.

> Nathan Andelin
Trevor