To clarify...

You can use Stored Procedures and User Defined Functions in a SQL statement.

Both Stored Procedures and UDFs can be "External" or actually written in SQL.

"External" means the routine is a program or service program procedure written
in any iSeries HLL.  Note that it was not until v5r3 that external UDFs could
be a procedure in a service program.  Prior to v5r3, both external procedures
and external UDFs had to be program objects.

If you use SQL to actually write a stored procedure or a UDF, then behind the
scenes OS/400 creates the ILE C *PGM or *SRVPGM objects as shown in my first
post.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343