> From: Bruce Vining
>
> You caught me in a generalization...  Encoding scheme 4105 isn't
really
> Windows -- it's ISO 8, SBCS, Graphics in C1 -- which represents
Windows,
> Apple, and a few other platforms.

The unfortunate thing is that this doesn't really cover Mac, since Mac
has its own codepages for quite a few languages.  Am I missing
something, or is it sort of misleading to lump Mac under this set?  I
realize it's an extra ESID, but since Mac is so different, wouldn't it
perhaps warrant its own ESID?

Just wondering.

> The vast majority of the time what is
> desired is the Windows CCSID and so I generalized 4105 to Windows
rather
> than using the correct definition (which few would consider overly
> meaningful :-)  ).  In the table, and associated API, we went with the
> Windows CCSIDs on the assumption that that would be the one most
commonly
> sought (and that wasn't ISO 8, SBCS, no code extension allowed
(4100)).

Ooooo.  How VERY Windows-centric of you <laughing>.  And while you're
certainly right that the majority of desktops in that group are Windows,
it just seems to me that Mac should have its own.  Was there any thought
to separating Mac out, and if so, what was the final reason against
doing so?

Again, I'm not making a big thing of it, just wondering.  With a scheme
as flexible as this, it's just a bit of on oddity that you shoehorned
Mac in with Windows (something that would have many Mac owners simply
seething about if they knew <g>).

Joe