Hi Charles -

Just wanted to check something I've run into that I didn't realize.

The CLRPFM command seems to ignore the WAITFILE(xxx) setting for a file.

In other words, if you have a file with WAITFILE(300) and it is in use when a CLRPFM command is issued, the CLRPFM doesn't wait 5 minutes before throwing a "file in use" exception.

Anybody understand why this is or am I missing something?

Maximum file wait time (WAITFILE)

     Specifies the number of seconds that the program waits for the file
     resources to be allocated when the file is opened, or the device or
     session resources to be allocated when an acquire operation is
     performed to the file.  If the file resources cannot be allocated in
     the specified wait time, an error message is sent to the program.

For a physical file, the waitfile applies only to opening the file.

For clearing the file, reorganzing the file, deleting the file, etc. the job's default object wait time is used. IIRC the default object wait time comes from the class associated with the routing entry. Also IIRC the IBM-supplied subsystems and classes will give you a default wait time of 30 seconds for interactive jobs and 120 seconds for batch jobs.

If it's just one or two files, you can use ALCOBJ. If it's a lot of files you may want to have the job change its wait time: CHGJOB DFTWAIT().

Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/
Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or anyone in their right mind.