WELLLLLLL......    For what it's worth, I'm running several 2003 and linux
servers, mirrored, with both SATA and 7200rpm IDE's in a 24x7
arena...maybe I'm the anomoly to the rule (knock on wood, and I guess I'm
now cursed to a HDA failure this weekend), but I've not had any issues.
ALot of the intel issues I've found historically are power related, so
keeping everything on a good UPS has helped keep problems at a distance...

I would recommend staying away from the regular IDE's and go with the
SATA's for anything new and will be upgrading the remaining ones to SATA
this summer....  and these are  120-250gig boxes...

My problems been in Windows and NIC cards not being able to handle long
term sustained high data volume...these are 1gig nets and if I send 60-120
accross the net, sometimes I get a NIC that will choke...but only at very
long high sustained flow rates...

Don in DC