Larry,

I got lost in the back and forth.....are you saying that the 3004 won't work in a model 2291 (which is what Chris said he had, I think)? My 170-2291 shows the following:

MS01  3001-000   Operational   32MB Main Storage Card
MS02  3001-000   Operational   32MB Main Storage Card
MS03  3004-000   Operational   256MB Main Storage Card
MS04  3004-000   Operational   256MB Main Storage Card

I thought you said that we could stuff 256mb x 6 in that box? Or perhaps you were only referring to Frankie....

And while we are in the subject of building mini-Frankies... this 170 has only 12GB of DASD. What would you suggest as an upgrade? I have the following:

DD004   6607-074   Operational   Disk Unit
DD002   6607-074   Operational   Disk Unit
DD001   6607-074   Operational   Disk Unit
DD003   6607-074   Operational   Disk Unit

Looks like the system builder says I can put up to 4 17.54 GB drives in this guy, but, I am a little lost on the models. My configuration shows 6607 (4.19Gb) but the system builder shows 6807. Is a 6807 just a "better" 6607 drive? If I am looking around on the Internet, can I use the models interchangeably? I was looking specifically at 6713 or 6813 drives so I could double the DASD.

Ever thought of an FAQ on your site  for 170 upgrades?

Pete Helgren

Larry Bolhuis wrote:

Right, the 3004's won't work in that vintage machine. Only 3002's but you can cram in 8 of 'em.

- DrFranken

Chris Bipes wrote:

Thanks. What I have is 832MB or about .9G. What version of the OS were you
running when you tried? I have V5R3 on the box.

Chris Bipes
Information Services Director
CrossCheck, Inc.

-----Original Message----- Chris,

It won't work.already tried it.  Wound up with a couple 3004's that I
couldn't use.already got rid of them.

Oh, it'll work, but it won't recognize (or use, I guess) the extra
memory..tried it on a 170-2291, max is around .9G

If I remember correctly, it reports a "soft" error.