>Mike
>
>many thanks for such a quick response.
>

>Barton, Mike wrote:
>
>>      yes there are still ppl using win 98 :(
>>
>>AFAIK, network navigator will not work..
>>
>>iSeries Navigator will work on Win98 to V5R1 to access ifs.
>>
>>One option is to set a start-up batch pgm on the pc to map
>>a network drive directly to a shared if directory - something
>>like:
>>net use S: \\{ip address}/shareDir password
>>this will setup a drive in windows explorer.
>>The {ip address} can be replaced by the netserver name which
>>is often the system name prefixed by a q.
>>
>>The small problem is that when accessing the ifs, you will need
>>to supply a password but u cannot specify the user as win98 by
>>default uses the windows user.
>>So the only way to make it work is to have a user profile on the
>>iSeries matching the windows user (or vice versa).
>>

>I suspect that they don't have passwords on their PC's (but I could be
>wrong!).  If so I will advise them to use them.
>
>I am sure that I never did this with Win 95.  Is Win 98 different in
>this respect or is there another way?  If I have no choice but to change
>users and passwords on the PCs  to match the iSeries, are there any
>special tips?  I know there have been posts about this before but I
>don't remember what they said.
>
>Best wishes
>
>Rob

Rob
        just to clear up (my !) slight confusion..

You don't need a windows password, but you must have a windows user.
The password required is not the win98 one but an iseries one.

e.g. My user profile on the iseries is MIKE.
however, my win98 user name is MBARTON.
When i connect to the ifs, it asks for an iseries password for the
user profile MBARTON - and i cannot override this !
So the win 98 user needs to match the iSeries one.

There may well be better options re user/password management which
I don't know of.

Mike

The information transmitted is intended only for use by the addressee and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information by persons and/or entities other than the intended recipient
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.  Thank you