> From: Evan Harris
>

> I am fairly sure I understand how FTP works, although I will confess
> not being particularly aware of the ".." exploit.

These are somewhat contradictory statements.  If you don't know the
basics of the IFS (or any hierarchical file system), then you really
don't know much about how the FTP server or any of the other Unix-like
utilities works.  You may know how to use the FTP client, but you really
don't know that much about FTP.

That aside, I see your dilemma.  You have an NT guy who says he can make
data available simply and easily, and you have to compete with that.
However, the more I look at that argument, the more I have a problem.

Your primary argument boils down to this: if I don't do what the NT guy
says HE can do, then I will lose the iSeries.  That's really the crux of
the biscuit: you have to keep up with the NT guy or else your company
will abandon the iSeries.

If this were entirely true then you would have no control over security
and access to your data.  You simply have to do whatever the NT guy says
he can do.  This to me is frightening.  Since the SQL guy can also just
as easily update the data, do you have to allow update access as well?
If not, why not?  Probably because you can make a reasoned argument that
you need business rules to protect the integrity of the data.  But the
point is that you don't have to do everything the NT guy says.

So the real issue is not keeping up with the NT guy, it's providing fast
access to the data.  Why do you need fast FTP access to your data?  In
what situation does it make sense to download entire files to some other
machine?  How many rows are we talking about?  If it's not that many
rows, how long does it take to make a copy?  If it's a lot of rows,
wouldn't it be faster to download only a portion of the data?  And in
that case, you're no longer talking FTP.

Really, I'm interested to know what purpose is served by FTP that can't
be handled with 15 minutes of programming, or how big a file it is that
copying it to a holding area actually takes too long for the end user.

The point is not that you don't have a legitimate need for FTP, Evan.  I
don't know your shop.  I'm just pointing out that the majority of uses
I've seen of FTP are simply to save the IT guy some time, and it's done
at the expense of security.

And as I've always said, those who are willing to sacrifice security in
order to make their job a little easier deserve neither.

Joe