Of course, a lot of RPG programmers don't use join logicals. Instead,
they provide their own indexed file navigation by getting a value from
one file, using that value to chain to another file, getting value from
that file, chaining to another file...and on and on. There's a divide in
AS/400-land...those that can/will use SQL or join logicals and want a
normalized database, and those who have a series of indexed files and
do their own navigation. Basically, if a programmer wants to use more
modern techniques, the iSeries can support them. And of course, if a
programmer still wants to code in RPG/II, they can. The ability to use
30 year old techniques is a 'feature' on the iSeries.