From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 1:47 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Special Authority *SERVICE

Oh, I agree with you, and the general idea that you should remove it and

see if a need arises.

I just wondered if any programmer who did debugging would need *SERVICE
authority on a newer box.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/29/2005 03:13 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: Special Authority *SERVICE

This person should not be debugging programs.  I'm the one who would do
that or possibly my boss, and he would probably ask me to do it.  This
person works with EDI.  Eric's previous message said that it could be
used for a communications trace but that would still be stretching
things quite a bit for this person's job function.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      rob@xxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                    To:       Midrange
Systems Technical Discussion
                      midrange-l-bounces@m <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      idrange.com                 cc:
                                                  Subject:  RE: Special
Authority *SERVICE

                      04/29/2005 02:41 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Midrange Systems
                      Technical Discussion

Half of those commands were commands commonly used in debugging a
program.  Hopefully that level of access is no longer needed (it was a
V4R3 source, right?).

I wonder if a clue would be anything with QSRV listed as having access
DSPOBJAUT OBJ(STRSST) OBJTYPE(*CMD)

There is a WRKOBJOWN command but I don't see a WRKOBJUSR command.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Eric Graeb" <egraeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/29/2005 02:00 PM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> cc

Subject
RE: Special Authority *SERVICE

Did a search on IBM and found these:

"OS/400 CL Reference V4R3"
9 topics have matches for: SERVICE special authority
CHKCMNTRC (Check Communications Trace) Command, 3.1.341
ADDPGM (Add Program) Command, 3.1.61
CHGHLLPTR (Change High-Level Language Pointer) Command, 3.1.206
CHGPGMVAR (Change Program Variable) Command, 3.1.278 CHGPTR (Change
Pointer) Command, 3.1.288 DSPPGMVAR (Display Program Variable) Command,
3.1.760 STRSST (Start System Service Tools) Command, 3.1.1265 PRTUSRPRF
(Print User Profile) Command, 3.1.957 STRDBG (Start Debug) Command,
3.1.1218

Hope this helps.