> From: Mike Eovino
>
> > I run WAS just fine on the smallest model 270, which has 370CPW.
This
> > is a very small machine.
>
> Which version of WAS?  And if you can't run WAS, there's always
Tomcat.

WAS Express (V5).  Works like a charm!  And you're right, Tomcat is
always an option.

> > What sort of machine are your clients running
> > on, Trevor?  The beauty of J2EE is the ability to offload it
(something
> > that simply can't be done with RPG-CGI or Net.Data solutions).
>
> Definitely a strike against Net.Data.  Now, I don't have experience
> with PHP using the iSeries as the database (all the PHP I've written
> has used MySQL), but I'd hope that you could run your web server and
> PHP on a beige box and connect to the iSeries database.

No idea.  The big plus in my mind with WAS is tat it is supported by
IBM.  If WAS doesn't work, IBM will fix it.  I'm not sure how PHP
support works.  Personally, I'd love to see Python supported because as
Hans always pointed out, Python is built for this sort of stuff.  If you
want to go with a scripting approach as opposed to the compiled approach
of JSP, then Python is an alternative that should be explored.

> Whether you go J2EE or some other method, the great thing is that we
> have *choices*.

ABSOLUTELY!  I can't agree more.  If you have zero Java skills and have
no desire to learn them, and you don't want to learn a scripting
language, then you can use Net.Data or RPG-CGI.  There is no other box
with a comparable suite of choices.

Joe