The LDAP server is started automatically on a scratch install with the
administrator id set to cn=administrator and a randomly generated password.
However, this is only done if there is no evidence of an existing LDAP
server on the network (check done via DNS). If the 400 is configured to use
a windows (2k/03) DNS server, then it is likely to find evidence of an
existing LDAP server. Once started, you have an LDAP server that will accept
anonymous binds or binds using real OS400 user profiles and passwords..

In order to see any real user profiles and/or groups via LDAP, you must be
authenticated to LDAP using an OS400 user profile. At that point you will
only be able to see those profiles and groups to which you have some sort of
authority (being a member of group gives you the authority to see group and
other members of the group. If you bind anonymously -- even if you know the
projected user profile DN and try to access the DN to the projected user
profiles and/or to a specific user profile, you are not allowed.

If anyone finds different behavior they should immediately report a sev 1
integrity APAR to IBM in order to correct the behavior.

So, if you do nothing to the LDAP server, after a scratch install, it will
accept anonymous binds and show absolutely nothing to whomever bound to it.
You can change this behavior to not automatically start by changing the
"autostart" parameter to NO. Those folks that can authenticate to LDAP with
a real user ID and password will be able to see their profile and any
profiles or groups to which they are explicitly authorized. If the profile
also has *SECADM, they would be able to create and delete or change those
profiles to which they are authorized through this interface also (great for
distributed user management), but this is no different than if they logged
into a green screen or were using iSeries Navigator.

Once bound to the LDAP server with a real OS400 user profile and password,
LDAP follows the system rules for the user profiles and groups you are
allowed to see. The system has always allowed members of a group to see the
profiles of other members of the group.

I would have expected a security expert trying to perform a useful service
to take his/her investigation far enough to determine that it wasn't the
LDAP interface providing the behavior, but an architected system behavior.
If that behavior is objectionable, one of the appropriate steps is to
officially notify IBM via the APAR process.