From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James H H Lampert
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2005 12:48 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Our 200 has developed a weird lockup problem (SRC B600 0615)

We don't use our 200 very much, but we'd rather not lose
it. Like the other boxes we use only intermittently, it's
on a weekly "exercise" power-up cycle; in this case, it's
scheduled power-up kicked in late yesterday afternoon.

This morning, I happened to walk past it, and noticed it
powered up when it shouldn't have been, and noticed that
the yellow light was on. On closer examination, it was
showing an SRC of B600 0615.

I got out the books, and started a manual IPL. Everything
seemed to be going fine: the console came up, along with
most of the usual displays, and I eventually ended up with
a command line. I checked the QSYSOPR message queue;
nothing odd there. Then I did a DSPLOG. Still nothing
unusual, except that the response time was quite a bit
slower than I remembered it being. Switching to the other
side of the terminal several times, I noticed that the
other signon display took longer than expected to appear.
Much longer, in fact.

I did a GO POWER, to check the exercise cycle, planning to
put it back on a Friday afternoon power-up like the other
two boxes, and attempted to look at the power-on schedule.
Nothing happened. Again, I switched to the other side of
the terminal. It was finally showing a signon display, but
the letter keys weren't doing anything. Neither were the
up- and down-arrow keys, although the keyboard lock icon
wasn't showing, and the left- and right-arrow keys were
moving the cursor.

The "1" side was still showing a keyboard lock icon on the
POWER menu. I looked at the front panel. It was showing a
rapid-fire stream of D6xx-series SRCs. I went back to the
"2" side of the terminal. The signon display was still
there, and this time, it was behaving normally. At least
up until I hit ENTER.

The front panel had stopped its rapid-fire string of SRCs,
and was back to B600 0615.

Anybody have any idea what all this adds up to?

--
JHHL