Joe, you and I probably have Godlike authority on most of the machines we
work on.  Normal users execution of WRKUSRPRF tells them nasty things
about their mother.  Their workaround is to do a WRKOBJ QUSRSYS/*ALL
*MSGQ.

After typing that up I tried another WRKUSRPRF *ALL as a limited user
profile.  They can see some user profiles but not all.  I wonder how it
makes the determination?  The *MSGQ trick remains effective though.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/22/2005 10:15 AM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Recent bugtraq postings

Patrick, I suggest that you notify your employer of this and let IBM's
legal department address it.  Any further public posting will only add
to this goober's pockets.  I do love his posts, though.  One is the
"LDAP exploit" in which, if LDAP is turned on, you can list other user
profiles.  Of course, he doesn't explain why that's a bad thing, or that
you can just as easily do the same thing using WRKUSRPRF *ALL.

But my favorite is the one that warns that if you install Client Access,
"malicious AS/400 applications can run programs on your PC."  Uh huh.
Malicious AS/400 programs.  Sorry, but iSeries programmers actually work
for a living.  We're unlikely to want to write applications that wipe
out the workstations of our end users.

Joe

> From: Patrick Botz
>
> The following are my personal opinions and in no way reflect the
official
> position of my employer or anyone else...

list