I know AOL still does rDNS lookup.  I have problems with it
sometimes that I know I'll have to deal at some point.

bvstools.com doesn't have a rDNS lookup...   So if I send
to AOL.com from the AS/400 it gets bounced because of no
rDNS.  I have a couple other domains registered and they
also don't have a valid rDNS...  one points back to my ISP.
 I know if I called them to say "I need you to correct the
rDNS for my domain" they would look at me and say "wha?"

This is using my MAILTOOL software which communicates with
the mail server of the recipient.  It has the option to
bind the outgoing traffic to a speicifc IP (so rDNS would
work if it was set up properly with the ISP).

I could see I would need at one point in the future if this
becomes the norm to start using a mail relay that has valid
rDNS, but we've done that in the past and had issues
because the email relay wasn't as reliable as my mail
software.

Other customers use it as well... One of them has mentioned
the issue and I felt terrible telling them the only thing
they could do was to set up the rDNS or use a mail router
with rDNS when using MAILTOOL.  (their machine was a server
on the net, not behind a firewall).

My opinion is that the rDNS causes more problems than it
solves.  But I understand why some do it.

Brad
www.bvstools.com

http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci917504,00.html: