CREATE TABLE UTF8 (KEYFIELD CHARACTER(5) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT, DATA
CHARACTER(100) CCSID(1208) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT)

Data stored in DATA will be UTF8 and not EBCDIC, but if your job CCSID is
not 65535 the UTF8 data will be converted to/from EBCDIC as mentioned in my
earlier note.  You can read/write this data from applications written in
RPG (or other languages), utilities such as DFU, and the like as character
data.  I would suggest simply creating the file and writing some simple RPG
programs to load/access the data.  Especially notice the change in behavior
when your job CCSID is or is not 65535 and you run the sample applications.

Bruce Vining

             <SRamanujan@sunga
             rdfutures.com>
             midrange-l-bounce         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/31/2005 11:36          RE: Unicode
             AM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

Thanks Bruce.
Can this be created in DDL also? How will my Create/Alter table look
like?  Can I store char as well as Unicode in these fields?  Can I read
the FIELD in your example into a RPG code?  How do I define the field in
RPG to store them incase I do? Do I need to do anything different while
reading these fields into a Java program or a plain sql? Any limitations
or things I need to be aware of about these declarations?

I am just trying to understand what I can do or not do with these fields
and hence the bombardment of questions.

Regards,
Sudha

Sudha Ramanujan