Wayne,

I might as well use your item to respond to since you responded to mine.

So, thanks to the others who responded -- looks like I can find a DASD growth
path with minimal trouble.

As for savefiles...

There are at least two separate general issues. First, the internal structure
that describes what was saved and how it will restore -- this is very
version/release-dependent. It's where TGTRLS() becomes important when saving
objects. And second, the *FILE object itself -- a savefile is, after all, a
*FILE object with an attribute of SAVF.

I generally use SNADS to send savefiles around here in our network. I range
from V4R4 to V5R3 nowadays and can't recall having problems. That is, the
savefiles themselves go where I want them to go without corruption; and as long
as the receiving system is at a level that supports the saved objects, restores
have always worked. I often store them on intermediate systems where they
cannot restore. Sending them later to an appropriate system allows restores to
work.

I've had similar success with FTP. I've FTP'd V5R2 savefiles to V4R4 systems,
then sent them via SNADS to V5R2 and they restore fine.

A fundamental point is that the SAVF *FILE object itself always gets created
according to the VRM of the receiving system no matter if it's FTP or SNA. The
data that then gets written into that SAVF *FILE by the transfer is the same
series of bytes that was saved (assuming binary transfer and related stuff).
So, in my understanding, it's only when a RSTxxx command is run that the data
inside gets interpreted. Intermediate storage is mostly irrelevant.

Just don't expect to restore objects saved for V5R2 onto a V5R1 or earlier
system. (But if a proper TGTRLS() was specified and matches the target, all
should be well.)

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta