Jim, I ran into similar confusion when transferring keys from a 170 to a
520 back in October 04.  Basically you log on to the key center site
www.ibm.com/software/lms from a PC that can connect to both AS/400s.  I
don't remember the exact sequence but once logged in you choose the
button to transfer the keys.  I believe an applet is downloaded (applets
must be allowed) and run.  The applet will ask you to connect to the
machine.  The confusing part is that it doesn't specify which machine to
connect to.  Once I understood to connect to the old machine first the
transfer went smoothly following the directions on the web site.

Here is some of the dialogue I had with the IBM support line when trying
to solve the problem:

<snip>
Hello Markus & thanks.

The applet worked fine to transfer the PoE and then again to install the
license keys on the new server.  All the misunderstanding was related to
which server to connect to when transfering the PoE.  I mentioned more
than a few times that I was trying to connect to the new server.  When I
tried the old server as you said to, everything worked fine.

The instructions on the web page are not clear in this regard.  They
state: "You will be prompted to sign on to the iSeries server. Type in
the host name (network name or TCP/IP address) and a valid user id and
password."

Joe Cox
<endsnip>

<snip>
Joe, before I contact IGS to take a look at it would you please try once
again to transfer the ePoEs. The system you need to log on to is the old
("transfer from") system, not the new one.

Stated below some information regarding the hw setup necessary to be
able to use the transfer option on iSeries WEB.

 Hardware set up and configuration
    1. System set-up
       For iSeries:
          a. Ensure that TCP/IP is installed and configured on the
system.
          b. The operating system must be OS/400 V4R2 or higher.
          c. The BOSS option 12 must be installed on the system (host
             servers) and the host servers must be active. The
"STRHOSTSVR
                *ALL" command can be used to start the servers.
          d. Ensure that the QUSER profile is enabled. This is required
by
             the host servers.
    2. Client configuration
       For the workstation or PC:
          a. Ensure that TCP/IP is installed and configured on the
             workstation.
          b. Ensure that the workstation is connected to the iSeries
server
             over TCP/IP.
          c. The web browser used can be either Netscape 4.7 (or higher)
or
             Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 (or higher). Also newer
versions of Opera & Mozilla can be used.
          d. Java support must be enabled in the browser. To enable this
             support, use the preferences (Netscape) or tools (Internet
             Explorer) options on your browser.
          e. Your company must accept applets to run within your
browser.
          f. When prompted, you must accept the security certificate in
order to allow the signed, trusted applet to connect to the
system within your network.
<endsnip>

Hope that helps.

Joe Cox