On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:07:18 -0800 (PST), Matchrefree@xxxxxxxxx
<matchrefree@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there any possible way there in CL to know if the  data in a char field is
> completely numeric or not.
>
> Thanks
> Hari

Hari, I think a custom written ILE procedure is your best solution
here.  CL automatically passes the OPDESC info on all the procedure
parms, so your char field can be contained in any size CL variable.
And once written, you only need one line of CL code to determine if
your char variable contains digits only or not.

Setting up and using the service program that holds all the procedures
called from CL can be kept relatively simple.   There are no copy
books needed for instance.  The service program, called "CL_PROCS" ?,
can be standalone,  the names of its exported procedures dont have to
integrate with your naming convention used in your other, RPG, service
programs.   So you can use simple, long procedure names.  Like
"CheckCharIsAllDigits".

Using custom written procedures in CL is a two step process:
  - use the CALLPRC command to call the procedure
  - on the CRTPGM command, specify the service program in the BNDSRVPGM parm.

-Steve