After looking at the documentation i realized that IBM has added a
keyword VALNUM that can be added to a numeric field that resolves this
issue.

VALNUM (Validate Numeric) keyword for display files

Use this file-, record-, or field-level keyword to enhance the error
checking performed against fields with data type numeric only. When
specified on a numeric only field, this keyword causes an error
message to be returned if the user attempts to embed a SPACE, PLUS
SIGN or MINUS SIGN between numeric digits in the field or when the
PLUS SIGN or MINUS SIGN precedes the numeric digits.

The field containing the VALNUM keyword must be defined as an
input-capable field with the data type Y.

The business problem we were having is that our customer is expecting
the 5250 to function like a browser since the users he has on the
warehouse floor are expecting it to work that way. This is
particularly true for users who are seeing the 5250 screen on a small
RF gun.  The user on the floor keys a 1 realizes that is is a mistake
and then uses the arrow keys to navigate to the numeric field and keys
a 3 expecting the value to be 3, uses the arrow keys again does some
more data entry and then hits enter.

Now that we have used this keyword, we have resolved the issue, but
the next thing i have to worry about is how to add this keyword to all
our display files :-)

Thanks

Krish