Andy,

If none of these threads help you, you could give a freeware open
source utility a try - Martin Rowe has a utility called CRTCSVSTMF
that trims blanks from the resulting csv.

Since v5r3, I've found it to be more stable and predictable than
CPYTOIMPF - especially with regard to code pages and CCSID.

you can download at http://www.dbg400.net/

The best part is you have the source and can tweek it.  In our system
we have several alpha fields with leading zeros, and when the csv is
opened in excel, it trims them.   I modified my version to look for
long numeric strings (  000000044394930384 for instance ) and if
found, it places a single quote at the beginning of the string.

This keeps excel from trimming the leading zeros.

hope this helps,

Rick