Finally got working - this is what it took to get it to look
like it did at v4r5...
BARCODE(CODE3OF9 1 *AST (*RATIO 2) -
(*WIDTH 0.010))

If i take the *width out - barcode is almost 2 inches wider...
(i know *with is the minimum bar width)
Seems like something is broken or the default
width has changed going from v4r5 to v5r3
jim