Huh?

Not sure I understand your question.  Are you saying that you've called the
function multiple times, but the access count for the file only shows one
call's worth of I/O?

That would make sense since you defined the function as deterministic.

The manual states that deterministic "Specifies that the function will always
return the same result from
successive invocations with identical input arguments."

As I understand it, with a deterministic function, OS/400 may cache the prior
value and just return it instead of actually calling the function again.  This
would appear to be what you are seeing.  If you're not seeing it, it may be
that OS/400 decided not to cache the results.

Note that I don't think there's any way to know how long OS/400 keeps this
cached value around.  I assume it isn't permanent.

However, be very careful specifying DETERMINISTIC.  I tend to specify
deterministic only for functions that don't access files.  Such as a date
conversion routine.  With a function that access a file, it would be too easy
for a change to the file not to affect the result of the function when it
should have.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America