I think the idea is to move the interactive jobs to the Web interface, it works beautifull, it is faster to program, you are not limited to 80 columns, to one size font, etc.

Besides, it used to be in the B10 that you needed to do a subfile page by page in order to get a sub-second response, and once you have it, inproving from say, 0.5 to 0.3 seconds will not even be noticed by the users. Nowdays (820), I load the whole subfile, and display it in less than a second.

Raul
Walden H. Leverich wrote:

My understanding is that threads were originally developed on other systems to work around those systems limitations of process switching and sharing between processes. The AS/400 never had such limitations so multi-threading wasn't a requirement originally.

Threads are invaluable in interactive programs as a way to increase
perceived performance or allow blocking operations while not locking out
the user.

Take a simple subfile example: Imagine a program where you displayed the
first page of a subfile on the screen, and while the user was deciding
what to do you loaded the second page on a background thread. Depending
on the IO needed to load a page in a subfile, that could be a marked
improvement in performance.

Or take an example of waiting for an object, for example a lock on a
data area that serialized access to a program. W/o a thread you show a
page to the user saying "Please wait" and then you try the ALCOBJ.
Assuming default wait times, that screen is hung up for 30 seconds. Now,
with a thread you could run the screen on the primary thread and do the
ALCOBJ on the background thread. This way the screen could be responsive
to the user and allow the user to hit F3 to say, never mind, I'll try
later.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO