Dave,

What driver are you using?  *HPPJLDRV?

Does the printer support *IPP?  With IPP you can specify remote names like so:
 http://192.168.1.50/lpt2
(Exact syntax depend on printer/print server)

Below is a reply from IBM's Rodney Johnson, Technical Lead for iSeries Spool,
to a question I asked about in the newsgroup as far as *HPPJLDRV vs. *IPPDRV
vs. *SNMPDRV

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_frm/thread/ac498c2f598ca7c7/76b390ec4f628842?tvc=1&q=IPP+SNMP+group:comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fsourceid%3Dmozclient%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26q%3DIPP+SNMP+group:comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&scrollSave=&&d#76b390ec4f628842

or http://tinyurl.com/6vsqz

"If only it was so simple...

I would chose PJL last.  The reason being no sharing between systems
until there are no RDY files.  A single TCP/IP port, so if the printer
stops talking for some reason, you have no way to determine why...just
looks like the writer is hung.

SNMP is better because it allows sharing between files (if you specify
*IBMSHRCNN on the USRDFNOPT attribute of the printer device).  SNMP uses
two ports.  A data port, and a status port (actual SNMP).  This allows
you to know why the printer writer has stopped processing the spooled
file (like out of paper condition, printer offline, etc.).

IPP has the ability to send the data encrypted, thus if security is an
issue, and you are sending to an IBM IPP server or CUPS server, you can
send the data without fear of losing confidential data.  IPP also
supports finishing operations.  SNMP can support finishing if you use my
latest version of the user data transform TSPRWPR (and modify the source
to match the PJL commands for the printer with the finisher...unless you
have an IBM 1145 or 1130).

IPP might be better if you are sending site to site.  IPP can be not as
good if the IPP implementation of the printer is limited.  IPP expert
here has run into a number of situations that can be performance
limiting (or even won't work) due to the implementation/interpretation.

SNMP and IPP are both good choices.  I use SNMP"

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343