Rob,

> Now... how did we work around that?  Let me think...
>
> If it makes you vomit, I hear you.

where's the toilet?  ;)

> CRTPF FILE(ROB/MYFILE) RCDLEN(10)
> upddta rob/myfile
> CPYTOIMPF FROMFILE(ROB/MYFILE)
>           TOSTMF('/rob/xyz.txt')
>           STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII)
>           RCDDLM(*CRLF)
> Looks like excrement to me.

there's the toilet!  ;)

> rmvlnk '/rob/xyz.txt'
> CPYTOSTMF FROMMBR('/qsys.lib/rob.lib/myfile.file/myfile.mbr'
>                   )
>           TOSTMF('/rob/xyz.txt')
>           CVTDTA(*AUTO)
>           DBFCCSID(*FILE)
>           STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII)
> dspf '/rob/xyz.txt'
> doesn't look bad.  Since it's a program described file I think we stopped
> using CPYTOIMPF and used CPYTOSTMF.  What advantage is there to CPYTOIMPF
> on a program described file?

My only reason for using IMPF instead of STMF is because I have
library list issues.  I would have to retrieve the library name from a
data area (or similar technique) and parse the qsys.lib link.   That
would suck wind.

Why did they take my CPYTOIMPF away?   i'm so pi**ed off I could spit.

> Some more data from the help you might want to look at:
> Specify the CCSID to be used.  More information about CCSIDs is
> in the Globalization topic in the iSeries Information Center at
> http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/infocenter.

thanks, I'll give it a look.

Rick