The issue here as most posts have pointed out is that no one can agree to
scalability or to it's actual relevance.  No offense to the put it on a
watch people but I'm not sure how relevant that might be to my perspective
of what is scalable and how it is good for my business.  While scaling down
to a diminutive form is of some business sense to some people, the benefits
of what I get out of the iSeries and OS/400 don't necessarily themselves
scale down to a smaller side.  And based on the integrated nature of the
product (both hardware and software) I would fully expect it to be harder
to justify the cost and technical effort to get it there.  Of course, that
is my perspective on scalable.........I fully understand that others won't
agree.  But as mentioned before, that is my personal, professional, and
business take on scalable.  It's not the only way but it definitely
works......

             Booth Martin
             <booth@xxxxxxxxxx
                                       Midrange Systems Technical
             02/08/2005 01:29          Discussion
             PM                        <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             Midrange Systems          RE: Scalability
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

May I ask a tangential question here?  I have long wondered about something
pertaining to this discussion of unix & iSeries.  Do unix shops deploy
Windows PCs or do they deploy Linux or some variant?   Is the iSeries
pretty
well committed to needing Windows workstations?  When one is discussing
scalability doesn't unix's ability to fill the need from keyboard to server
give unix the edge?  In general what is the discussion one would make about
unix and the user workstations?

Booth Martin

http://www.martinvt.com