Mike,

You might consider using a Bluetooth barcode scanner with a Palm PDA.  See
the 5250 emulator for Palm OS from www.mochasoft.net.  The tiny screen could
be a problem.

One of my colleagues was showing me the Blazer Web browser which is
available for Palm OS, if an HTML interface would be more helpful.

Blazer is pretty impressive, but works better with Web pages tailored to the
PDA's 320 pixel width screen.  I don't know whether HATS generated HTML and
JavaScript would work with a PDA browser.

Although you'd prefer to not write custom code, a CGI program could be used
for data collection, with HTML tailored for a PDA's browser.

HTH,

Nathan.

--- original ---

We are looking at barcoding/scanning some information that goes into our
inventory that we are using in our JDE World software system (and if anyone
mentions an Oracle solution I will scream).  One thing we'd like to do is
take a few screens and shrink them down to make them more amendable to
handheld scanners.  We'd rather not write custom code or modify the JDE
screen.  I don't know if we care about 5250 vs. HTML but it seems like a
possible option would be HATS or some similar 3rd party application that
does the translation on the fly and allows us to easily modify the screen
map to the application.  Any thoughts?