I've never heard of such a limitation before. The only DLO-related code
that has ever cared about a password is Remote Document Library Services,
and I find it highly unlikely anyone's still using that. If they were, I
expect they might be limited to 10-byte passwords. Otherwise, I can't see
how the password length would affect QDLS.

Jim Damato's append summed up the restrictions very nicely.
> The only troubles we had were:
>
> 1)  A third-party product, Safari Report Writer from ASG, had a problem
with
> mixed-case passwords.  They fixed it within days.
>
> 2)  Folks on older versions of iSeries Access / Client Access weren't
able
> to connect (probably mixed-case again).  Upgrading to the right version
on
> the client fixed the problem.
>
> The problems you heard of in QDLS may have to do with #2.

Password Level 2 was meant to allow you to test the new password lengths
(and encryption algorithm) and still be able to return to password level 0
or 1 without forcing users to re-enter existing passwords in order to do
so. Password level 3 was meant to allow you to get the new, optionally
longer, passwords with case-sensitivity AND to get rid of the old passwords
encyrpted with the new process. Depending on why you are thinking of
changing password levels and how tightly integrated your PCs are, you might
consider only going to level 1 (this just removes the passwords that are
weakly encrypted with the old MS process).

Oh yeah...I don't agree with Al's "blanket recommendation" not to change
either.

Patrick Botz

             Jim Damato
             <jdamato@dollarge
             neral.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  "'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'"
             midrange-l-bounce         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             12/11/2004 03:34          RE: Long passwords and QDLS
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

We made the change, pretty easily.  No children were harmed in the process.
It was easy to turn on for testing during off-hours and then turn off
before
planning the implementation.  The only troubles we had were:

1)  A third-party product, Safari Report Writer from ASG, had a problem
with
mixed-case passwords.  They fixed it within days.

2)  Folks on older versions of iSeries Access / Client Access weren't able
to connect (probably mixed-case again).  Upgrading to the right version on
the client fixed the problem.

The problems you heard of in QDLS may have to do with #2.

-Jim

James P. Damato
Manager - Systems Administration
Dollar General Corporation