Were using the Intermec EZCoder 3400e printers for this type of thing. You
code your printer file using Intermec's scripting language. It's pretty
straight forward once you get the hang of it. The manual is pretty good
too. It'll do bar codes if you need it to. I'm not sure what the limit is
as far as the minimum size for the printer. They may have other printers
that will do very small labels.

The printers hang on your ethernet network and are connected by LPD/Remote
Writers.

We haven't had any problems doing it this way.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             "Chuck Lewis"
             <clewis@xxxxxxxxx
             t>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  "'Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion'"
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             01/18/2005 01:38                                      Subject
             PM                        Label Printers ?

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Hi folks,

Iâve been approached about the feasibility of creating an application to
produce labels for our shipping folks. We are a wholesale distributor and
do
a lot of transfers between branches (10). These transfer items range in
size
from tiny to water heater size or bigger. It is the smaller items that are
an issue. You could throw a number of small items into a bag, seal it and
stick it in a box. They want labels to stick on these bags to note what
transfer items are in them. They will enter a transfer number and that will
show them all the items on the transfer and then THEY can choose how many
labels they need. This information will consist of a 6 position Item # and
30 character Description. We currently printer Bin Labels (here in mass â
not at the branches) and Customer mailing labels on the standard 3 Â x
15/16
âAveryâ labels.

The real issue gets to be what type of printer to use. They will need one
dedicated to this and I am not sure what to choose or how to write to it.
We
have used the Eltron printers for UPS and the labels come on rolls. But
that
is a PC application that writes to that printer.

Any ideas or experience with something like this ?

Thanks,

Chuck