We've already been through the migration to the PASE environment.  However
the PASE version is going away.  5.3 of TSM will not work in the PASE
environment.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

JOberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/15/2005 01:44 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: What do you think of IBM giving you dead (to the iseries)   products?

<snip>
5.2.2 is end-of-life for OS/400 support of TSM.  I guess IBM's
mentality is that if will run AIX or Linux who needs anything obsolete
like OS/400?
</snip>

Rob,

The support for iSeries/i5 TSM is not going away, although it is shifting.
TSM support for iSeries and i5 is best in the PASE environment, not the
native OS/400 server.  The PACE environment is going to be supported for
some time, since it is the same code as runs on AIX.  The native OS/400
server will be going away.  For those who may not remember this, in order
to back up i5/OS, or OS/400 objects etc, into the TSM server, you need to
have BRMS installed as well (also part of Enterprise package in some
instances).  I have this environment running at several clients,
(including
our own data center at corporate) and it works very well.  The only down
side to running TSM in PACE that I can find is in order to run many of the
scripts we use to manage the system (we put them in PERL so the
portability
would be the greatest)  we need a client machine connected to the TSM
server on the iSeries (an i810 in this case)

Of course you could run it under Linux (my choice) but then if you don't
have the Linux skills, or a partitioned machine, use the PACE version.
Works great

Check your CD distributions, you should be able to find a copy of the PACE
version of TSM.  Use that one.  Installs in about 10 minutes, and can be
up
and running to back up your desktop/laptop in about 30 minutes.  Of course
a real configuration takes longer depending on the environment etc.

Jim Oberholtzer
Senior Solutions Architect
Computech Resources, Inc.

list