It can also be better.

With our 520
I received all the CD's.
There is a sticker on the box (a rack model) telling me which port is
where.
All hardware was already in the box.
Preload was not complete, only bare essentials where loaded.
PTF's not in the package (but a letter explaining it)
Installation instruction on the hardware-cd (like information centre for
the software)
License key forms included and a letter telling where to find them on
the Web.
Multiple PTF packages worked like a charm.
Only on the Dutch version the Y of Yes will be a J of Ja, while the
screen is telling to use a Y for Ja.

Same story goes for a 550 with 2 expansion racks.
All in separate boxes, you need the Hardware CD to connect it all.
LPAR hardware not in right slots but somewhere in the racks, I had to
move iit to the right slots.
Once connected bare i5/OS is installed on the one (1) LPAR that's
defined.
HMC see hardware CD.

So if you are installing find the Hardware CD in your package or on the
internet and have fun.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Inter Access BV

Eduard van den Braken
Technisch Consultant iSeries

The information contained in this message may be confidential and
is intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Should you receive
this message unintentionally, please do not use the contents herein
and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.