Hello Matthew,

The problem we are experiancing is with FTP on the 400. It appears that all packed decimal fields send special characters to the receiving system. The receiving system is running UNIX.

FTP is a file transfer program. That's all it is -- a program that transfers data from one system to another.

This may seem confusing to someone who is used to Client Access' file transfer. Despite being called "File transfer" Client Access does more than just transfer the data, it also changes the file format from one thing into another. It's doing two steps for you -- both converting the data to another format, and copying it over a network...

FTP doesn't do that. It just copies the data, nothing else. Oh sure, it can do two very simple transformations -- it can translate into ASCII, and it can change a text file from one end-of-line convention to another. But that's all.

If you want to convert your database into a text file, you must convert it FIRST, then transfer it with FTP.

To do that, use the CPYTOIMPF command to convert the database fields into a text file. Then, after that's done, use FTP to transfer the text file to the Unix machine. If you like, you can write a CL program that does both steps at once.

The release of OS/400 shouldn't make much difference. It's possible that the CPYTOIMPF command has had some new options added (though, I can't think of any!) but FTP hasn't changed.