>From an audio standpoint I know how abrasive cleaning tapes can wear down
heads on a tape deck.  I used to know a guy who used has 4-track
reel-to-real so much that he wore those down every couple of years just
from routine use.  At my former job they ran AS/400 cleaning tapes through
quite regularly.  Then again, they upgraded hardware often enough that it
probably wouldn't have been an issue.  If it had been there was always the
maintenance contract.  I think that we will look for a compromise somewhere
in between for our 3570.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      "Raby, Steve (GE

                      Advanced Materials,         To:       Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion
                      consultant)"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB
                      <steve.raby@xxxxxx>         cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  RE: The dreaded
3570 tape drive rears its ugly head
                      midrange-l-bounces@m         once again

                      idrange.com

                      01/10/2005 10:56 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

                      <midrange-l@midrange

                      .com>

We have had a fair bit of trouble with these recently, kept getting media
errors during overnight backups, tried cleaning each time the thing failed,
(but too much can be as bad as too little so watch out there) so they
renewed the reader heads. Seemed ok for a week or two then errors started
again, now they replaced the motor drive last week (possibly it wasn't
pushing the tape against the reader heads properly, can happen, so the IBM
bloke said), I think it is a new body next, can't be much else to change,
think I'll ask for go faster stripes on the side, see if that helps. :-)

Steve