Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/29/2004 02:01 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: SAV -- What's wrong with this picture?

Never mind, it is senility.  I created the share on a different system.  I
still don't know why it worked this time but who can argue with results?

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      David A
                      Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/        To:
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx@SMTP@CTB
                      SPCO@SPCO                   cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  RE: SAV --
What's wrong with this picture?
                      midrange-l-bounces@m
                      idrange.com

                      12/29/2004 01:37 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Midrange Systems
                      Technical Discussion
                      <midrange-l@midrange
                      .com>

Thanks for the link Rob.  That was a bit easier to understand and had
better examples than the CL manual.  Now for something else that's
weird...

I tried it again and it worked.  I mean using F9 to retrieve the command
with no changes.  The only thing that I did in between was to create a
share of the root directory using iSeries Navigator.  I did that because I
wanted to map a drive to the IFS root and although there were shares to
some other folders there was none for the root.  Could that have made a
difference?

Maybe it's just senility starting to set in.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      rob@xxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                    To:       Midrange
Systems Technical Discussion
                      midrange-l-bounces@m
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB
                      idrange.com                 cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                                                  Subject:  RE: SAV --
What's wrong with this picture?
                      12/29/2004 12:58 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Midrange Systems
                      Technical Discussion
                      <midrange-l@midrange
                      .com>

Not really contradictory.  On the one that works he is trying to backup /*
but not QSYS.LIB or QDLS, and they are both in /*.
Although you may be on the right track.  All the examples in the help with
*omit assume /* is being saved.

I used a utility to find that message and it was CPF382B (helps to include
that).  I checked the second level help and you have that all covered.

Anyone know where to find the manual referenced by the InfoCenter:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/info/cl/sav.htm

It's suggesting this book "Backup and Recovery book, SC41-5304" but it
includes no link.
Oh found it, under Information Center Home - Printable PDF's and Manuals.
I've yet to find the "For detailed restrictions on using this command "
part of the Backup and Recovery Guide that the URL for the SAV command
refers to.  Happy hunting dave.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/29/2004 11:57 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: SAV -- What's wrong with this picture?

I would think it's because you're trying to backup a directory
(DAPARNIN) but not back up a subfolder that's inside it. Seems to me
that that's contradictory.

list

list

list