From: rob@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 2:43 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: The Day the Music Dies (was: RE: backup spool file)

That's called a "variable length field" on the i5.  People don't use
them because they weren't available on the S/38 and they refuse to
change.
Some might say the extra 2 byte overhead for a variable length field
might waste $2.73 in disk space and they can't afford that on a measly
6-9 byte field.
The fun part would be now adding an offset field to any api data
structures to support changing this field to variable length.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

James Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/14/2004 03:31 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: The Day the Music Dies (was:  RE: backup spool file)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Al Barsa wrote:

> You can always make a command parameter bigger.
>
> The problem is what do you do with fields for system output files.
The

And Vern wrote:

> The SYSLVL parameter of RTVOBJD takes a 9-character variable. The
format
is
> VnnRnnMnn. But, as Al says, there are lots of places that use
6-character
> format - not the least being all the TGTRLS parameters, which are now
> defined as *CHAR-8.

Why use fixed lengths at all?  Make the VRM be a "string" that can be
any
length.  Heck, in linux you can even add your own custom tag to the
"VRM"
(i.e. something like 2.6.9-we_did_this) and all the tools handle it just

fine.  Why couldn't the iSeries do something similar?

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
                 - billyskank on Groklaw
list

list

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then
disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission.
We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software
viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment
to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by
software viruses.  The information contained in this communication may be
confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are
the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic
messages from us in future then please respond to the sender to this effect.