From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 4:35 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Question about UDB on iSeries

> From: Dave Odom
>
> UT the reality is, it and DB2 are not usually used in the same
> environments and for the same types of applications and reasons as the

> mainframe.

I'm interested in this statement!  Do mainframes not do CICS-type
applications anymore?  Because for the life of me I can't discern the
difference between CICS-based order entry in COBOL and green-screen
order entry in RPG IV (or NEP-MRT order entry in RPG II, for that
matter).

If your contention is that mainframes are used more for data warehousing
on multi-terabyte databases, then I guess you're probably right there.
The iSeries is only just beginning to target that environment, although
from what I understand EVIs and the like make the iSeries a pretty nice
platform for those things.

> There are reasons why mainframe shops and mid-range shops using RDMBs
> like DB2 and Oracle went with those
engines
> and platforms and not with the iSeries.

What are the reasons?

> In addition, most iSeries shops I know of, since they have been
> influenced by Rochester and tend to move only in that environment and
> have done so for decades, don't have an unbiased view of how different

> the DB2/400 implementation is from the rest of IBM and why that is not

> necessarily good.

Actually, we didn't even know we were running DB2 until we were told so
by IBM.  Until then we were just running OS/400 (or CPF).  We just knew
we had the fastest database on the planet for the type of navigational
access that best describes business logic.

> One of the questions that should be answered is, "but with all that,
> can DB2/400 be used wisely and in keeping with the
tenets
> usually found in the rest of the RDBMs world and why is that important

> to my business?"

Can you provide these tenets?  Or better yet point out where they are
published.  Can I see them online somewhere?  Download them?

Joe