This is kind of an old thread by now but I came across something that might be
of interest here.
It looks like one of the compile options for ILE programs is the Optimization
level.
It has 3 options:
*NONE
    Generated code is not optimized. This is the fastest
    in terms of translation time.  It allows variables to
    be displayed and modified while in debug mode.

*BASIC
    Some optimization is performed on the generated code.
    This allows user variables to be displayed but not
     modified while in debug mode.

 *FULL
     Optimization which generates the most efficient code.
     Translation time is the longest. User variables may
     not be modified but may be displayed, although the
     presented values may not be the current values.

Perhaps if this functionality could be put into production environments it
could prevent anyone from changing variable during debug.  It may be
impractical to get your whole production environment done at once but perhaps
if you do have to debug a program it should be recompiled with an optimization
level first.

Regards,
Bob Kohlndorfer
Unbeaten Path International