Dear Ken and Tom,                                                +> vendor
response

The Sarbanes-Oxley Act was interpreted by the Public Company
Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB ... sometimes pronounced
'peek-a-boo') and the result was a 211 page document called:
'Auditing Standard No. 2.'

PCAOB was created by the SOX legislation for the purpose of
creating these standards and they came up with 216 requirements.
Here is a 65,000-foot level review of PCAOB which has sub-links
which drill down into as much detail as you care to dig into:
        http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/pcaob/source/1.html

The key finding:
    IT involvement will be very heavy because PCAOB opens every
    business process to detailed external audit review. Since business
    processes typically run through the iSeries, IT will end up in the
    middle of many facets of the SOX audit.

The largest non-compliance cost for an enterprise is likely to be a decline
in the price of publicly traded shares if the external auditor authors
an unfavorable opinion for publication in your annual report. Here's a
document on that topic entitled: "IT Security: What Shareholders Should
Know About the Exploding Responsibility for Data Integrity."
       http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/debriscloud/source/1.html

IT can prepare for a SOX audit by taking at least these initiatives:

a. Be prepared to give your auditors an exceptionally thorough report about
    OS/400 security generated by an objective source. Make sure you can
    precisely replicate the report generation process so that each time
    something important changes about your system or someone important
    leaves the company, you can run the report again so as to analyze any
    "net change" in your system security profile.

b. Establish a well-thought-out business process for developing new
    applications or repairing/modifying existing software. This business
    process can be administered manually, but that is a nightmare if you
    have more than just a couple developers. Consider a software change
    management product to administer it for you.

c. Find a way to answer this kind of auditor challenge: "prove to me that
    no one got into the vendor master file just before checks ran last
    week, changed the name/address of a vendor, and then restored the
    original data soon after the checks ran."

d. Some ERP systems (older BPCS versions are flagrant examples)
    have enormous security problems that require substantial effort to fix.
    Also, if an auditor says, "tell me which users have access to BPCS
    program INV00x" it can be a tedious, >1 day process to derive the
    answer for each program they inquire about.

Here are some solutions that address points a, b, c, and d:
      http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/upisox/source/1.html

Warm regards,

Milt Habeck
Unbeaten Path