John

Sorry, I was mixing up DRDA and CLI.

But DRDA is not just an IBM standard.  While IBM created DRDA, it is now
managed by the Open Group.

Is Oracle really DRDA compliant? Seems they have a "Transparent Gateway"
option, but it only allows Oracle to access DB2 not the other way around.

Interesting, I found this quote:
KEY FEATURES
Ease of Implementation
# Takes advantage of the native DRDA capabilities of DRDA servers
# Requires no Oracle code on your DRDA server system

Yet the manual specifically says:
1.8.1 Gateway Changes to Your AS/400 System

Installing the gateway on your AS/400 system produces the following changes
to the system:

   1. A library is created, with the instance name as given in the first
installation panel. (For an example, refer to Example 4-1, "Install Oracle
Transparent Gateway Panel"). Almost all of the gateway will be found in this
library, with the exception of some objects dealing with service programs
and the items mentioned in parts 3 and 4 of this list.
The gateway can also be installed into a previously-created DB2/400 SQL
COLLECTION that contains nothing but objects of type *FILE (physical and
logical files), a journal of type *JRN, a journal receiver of type *JRNRCV,
and a data dictionary object of type *DTADCT. The collection name will be
the name of the library in which these objects are created by DB2/400.
   2. A user profile is created. The user profile has the same name as the
library that is created when you install the gateway.
   3. A subdirectory entry is created in the /home directory in the
Integrated File System. The subdirectory entry name will be the same as the
instance name. Thus, if ORACLE is the instance name, then a subdirectory
node will be created at /home/ORACLE. Further nodes will be created below
this node. Agent trace files will appear (if requested) in a subdirectory of
the created node. An initialization file will also appear in a subdirectory
of this node.
   4. A library named ORASRVLIB is created. If the installation software
finds that it must install the service programs that are found on the
installation medium, then a library with a name such as ORASRVnnnn (where
nnnn is a number) will be created. The relevant service programs and a file
that is used for NLS transactions will be placed in that library. Additional
files or members within files may be added to the ORASRVLIB library.
   5. A message queue with the name of the installation library is created
in the QUSRSYS library. This is as a result of using the CRTUSRPRF command
to create the user profile that corresponds to the installation library.

Wouldn't that be considered "Oracle code on your DRDA server system"???

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343