Royan,

Thanks for the reply.  My main point is that IBM should either:

1) Not ship PM/400 with default scheduled times where these jobs conflict
(both at 00:00), or (Preferably)

2) Use the same single thread job queue (Q1PSCHQ or Q1PSCHQ2 or Q1PSCHQ3)
to submit both Q1PDR & Q1PMONTH jobs (and possibly also Q1PPG job in case
that could also result in a record lock).

The second option would seem to be the preferred one as this will prevent
this problem no matter what time the jobs were scheduled, and could/should
be corrected via a PTF.

...Neil

Royan Bartley <royan@xxxxxxxxxx>
2004/11/04 15:41

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Fw: PM/400 record locks

Yes, we have seen a few systems that occasionally encounter record locks
between Q1PDR and Q1PMONTH jobs.   We are modifying the PM iSeries code
for
new systems to run these jobs at completely different times to avoid these
locks.  If this is a problem on your system, it is recommended that you
change the time of the Q1PMONTH job via GO PM400, Work with automatically
scheduled jobs, option 2 to change on Q1PMONTH.  Change it to a time that
no PM iSeries jobs are scheduled; by default 03:00 would work.

Royan Bartley
IBM Rochester
207-230-0416
T/L 776-9966
Internet:  royan@xxxxxxxxxx
PM eServer iSeries: http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/pm

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."  Walt Disney
----- Forwarded by Royan Bartley/Rochester/IBM on 11/04/2004 02:58 PM
-----

             Neil Palmer/DPS

Has anyone else seen record locks in the Q1PDR job (in QSYSWRK subsystem)
at month-end, because IBM's default settings for scheduling jobs has
Q1PMONTH run at the same time at month-end that the Q1PDR job is running?
I've seen this on 3 customer V5R2 systems at the October month-end.  They
have three single thread job queues (Q1PSCHQ, Q1PSCHQ2 & Q1PSCHQ3) so it
looks like someone coding PM/400 screwed up and didn't submit Q1PDR &
Q1PMONTH to the same job queue.

...Neil