I guess the question I have is, is it necessarily a bug?  Sure, Microsoft
handles it appropriately for this given situation.  But, then, Microsoft's
been known to blow off standards.

I dunno; just wondering.

Frankly, I have never liked dealing with " and , as CSV text quotes &
delimiters.  At a minimum, a delimiter should be an untype-able character,
something like x'00' or x'FF'; don't know if that does weird stuff
translating from EBCDIC & ASCII and vice versa.  But, when dealing with
outside sources, you don't always get to pick your choices.

db