The belts in the tape drive need to be cleaned.  The cleaning cartridge needs
to be replaced.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Dave and Bump
WIllenborg
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 11:17 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Magstar Tape Drive

It's me again. I am back with another multi part 3570 Magstar tape question.

First of all, I would like to know if this is commonly referred to as an IBM
"oh-oh" system?  The maintenance on this tape unit is outrageous.

Secondly, are the tapes known for non- reliability?

Third, if you have had this system and replaced it, what did you replace it
with?

The reason for my dislike for this system is this. I have a stand alone
model that will hold 20 tapes. I load up the 20 tapes, initialize the 20
tapes, review the job and make sure that everything went OK, (I have
automated the tape init process), and then reload the tapes and put the tape
unit in ready status. The tapes are initialized with the VOLID, owner is
black, check active files and clear are set to *no and end option unload.

This scenario has happened to me 4 times this last week and on 2 different
systems.

The backup program starts.

A DSPTAP is performed. The display shows that the tape is initialized and
has no file.

As soon as the instruction SAVSECDTA is performed, a CPF4569 is returned
"media error"

I then have to end the backup job and restart it again. This is not an easy
operation as I am replicating between 2 systems. Replication has to be
stopped, backup done and replication started again before I can start the
backup a second time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to eliminate these types of
problems?

Thanks in advance

Dave Willenborg

WIT Consulting