James Lampert mentioned how easy it is to write help text with UIM. V5R3 has made it even better, with the GENCMDDOC command. This command is used to generate either HTML or UIM source based on a retrieved command description (QDCRCMDD command does not have a help PNLGRP attached, you will get a skeleton based on the parameters, etc., with places to put your text. If there is a PNLGRP, the command will generate the UIM source for it.

There are a couple nice things - the source is not version-dependent. So, if you are like us, who develop on V5R1, you could bring your commands to a V5R3 machine, run the command, then bring the source back to the V5R1 machine.

You can also reverse-engineer IBM's help text with this. This could give you ideas on how to do some of the neat things we see.

Then, once you have created the PNLGRP, run the command again to get HTML, if you want. No more syntax diagrams (BOO! HOO!), but a nice parameter table with links to the individual parameter help.

Guy Vig, of IBM, had webcasts in the last 2 weeks on both the new CL flow control stuff, etc., and the command documentation thing. Go to www.search400.com and look for webcast archives. He's also going to be at Toronto COMMON.

Vern