Charles--

I -know- that AFPDS does not require IPDS hardware in order to work. We have lots of HP and Xerox printers, without IPDS hardware, that correctly handle AFPDS data and print the appropriate graphics.

Both should be all-points addressable, but without IPDS the entire bit map is sent per page; IPDS separates the overlay from the variable data to make things run faster. Unless it changed from when we set it up...

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Charles wrote (in part):

If you read through the Printing V Redbook, you'll find that *IPDS is the
printer stream used for both *IPDS and *AFPDS spool files. Which makes
sense considering that for either one the (native) printer type must be
*IPDS.

Again, according to the Redbook.  *IPDS is all points addressable just the
same as *AFPDS.  As I recall there was a post from Rodney Johnson from the
iSeries print/spool team on the news group that basically said *AFPDS was an
expansion of *IPDS but *IPDS was still the underlying stream.

HTH, Charles