On LIKE keyword, index cannot be used if wildcard is used at the beginning
of the value, i.e. %MARTIN or %MARTIN%.
But if it is at the end of the value, i.e. MARTIN%, then index can be used
by the query optimizer.

This obviously would limit any hits to the beginning of the record so it may
not be of much practical use in this particular situation.

Elvis